13 tips to help you lose weight in the new year
Analyzing information about weight loss can seem like a confusing task. There are so many ideas, plans and programs. It can be easy to end up so overwhelmed that you lose sight of what you started doing. In this article, we’ll reveal some sound tips so you can start over.
1. Know your daily caloric requirement – When starting a weight loss plan, you must determine how many calories to consume per day. Online calculators abound that will allow you to enter your height, weight, age, activity level, and the amount you want to lose and provide you with the total calories you should eat each day. Knowing how many calories you should be consuming each day makes it much easier to stay within the guidelines.
2. Cut the sugar – If you want to lose weight, try eliminating sugar from your diet. Sugar adds a lot of unnecessary calories to your diet. Sugar will often give you an energy boost, but it doesn’t last as long as healthy foods and can leave you feeling drained afterward. If you eliminate the sugar, you will eliminate a lot of junk food. The less junk food you eat, the fewer calories you eat.
3. Don’t be tempted, eat BEFORE you go shopping – One tip that can help you lose weight is to eat right before you do your shopping. A classic mistake people make is when they do all their shopping when they are hungry. They become overly enthusiastic and end up getting more food than they normally would.
4. Increase your fiber intake – To lose weight, nothing is better than consuming large amounts of fiber. Fiber is found in whole foods, nuts, and many fruits and vegetables. Fiber takes longer for your body to break down, so you’ll feel full for much longer and won’t start craving unhealthy snacks and foods.
5. Eat smaller meals as the day progresses. A tip to lose weight that sometimes goes unnoticed is to eat more at the beginning of the day and less at night. Think about it, you need energy to complete your tasks for the day, so it makes sense to have a moderately large breakfast, a regular lunch, and a modest dinner. Plus, it’s a good excuse to make eggs and bacon for breakfast (turkey bacon, of course!).
6. Fill with water – Before sitting down to eat, drink a glass or two of water. This creates a feeling of being a bit full and you won’t eat as much. Water is a good way to make sure you don’t gorge yourself, and it’s also a good way to clean your system.
7. Slow down when eating and enjoy – A great tip for weight loss is to make sure you don’t eat too fast. When you are eating, your brain needs some time to let you know that you are full. You need to be able to have a conversation while eating. If you are eating so fast that you cannot carry on a conversation, then you are eating too fast. Otherwise, you are good.
8. Forget the word “diet” and focus on a sustainable lifestyle change – If you are trying to reach and maintain a healthy weight for life, stop dieting. The yoyo diet leads to overall weight gain over time and is detrimental to your health. Instead, choose to make slow, consistent, permanent lifestyle changes that you can stick with for the rest of your life.
9. Cut the milk or switch to almond milk- Although milk is really good for your body, the fat in whole milk will wreak havoc on your waistline. So if you’re eating those fiber cereals for breakfast or enjoying a glass of milk instead of that sweet tea or glass of wine, remember to go for low-fat or fat-free milk. The difference in taste is negligible, but there is a big difference in the final result. Another option is to use unsweetened almond milk, it lasts much longer than regular milk, has no saturated fat, and has a creamier texture than traditional skim milk.
10. Don’t go it alone – If you’re married, a dual diet could be your ticket to losing weight. Trying a diet together is a great way to stay motivated. The two of you can start a little competition with each other and at least they will have their partner there, to always remind them that they are supposed to be on a diet. Even if you are not married, try to involve a friend or family member.
11. Weight is not improved by diet alone, move too – A good type of exercise that is good for people trying to lose weight is yoga. It can be a very relaxing workout that is great for the mind, although you will also gain an average of 350 calories for an hour of training. They have many classes that you can join, or just find a good exercise video and go it alone. If you find that yoga is still pushing the limits of what you can do with physical activity, just try walking. Walking at an average pace of 1.5 mph – 2 mph for 1 hour can burn about 200 calories.
12. Plan or prepare your meals in advance – Planning plays a huge role in weight loss. You should always know what you are going to eat during the day, the week or the month. Making last minute decisions is not always the best option. Have healthy foods packaged in serving size portions, so you can easily stick to your plan.
13. Consult a doctor – Before starting any diet, weight loss, or exercise plan, it’s a good idea to speak with your doctor. They can give you additional options and can help make sure you’re losing weight without putting yourself in danger.
With these simple tips you can achieve your weight loss goals. Take it easy and don’t fill your head with too many ideas at once. Take one, when you get it right, go for the next one. You may not feel motivated right away, but if you keep up, you’ll be healthier in no time.