5 ways to improve art marketing using the power of social media
Social media is a fundamental change in the way we all communicate. It is not a fad, yet many artists and galleries are still intimidated and baffled at the idea of joining the Social Media Revolution. Learn about these 5 ways to harness the power of social media and improve your artistic marketing.
1. Build your brand:
What is the brand? The American Marketing Association (AMA) defines a brand as: “A name, term, sign, symbol or design, or a combination thereof, intended to identify the goods and services of a seller or group of sellers and differentiate them from those other sellers.”
- Social media is the fastest way to create a brand identity for yourself and your art business.
- The strong brand identity sets it apart from the rest.
- A strong brand is invaluable and serves to communicate credibility to your prospects and collectors.
- Use Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube to build your brand by posting images of your art, tutorials, and recent blog posts.
- You are not alone! Being an artist is a lonely occupation, but with social networks.
- Reach beyond your art niche and attract new clients.
- Get instant comments or a critique on your latest painting or blog post.
- Learn from other artists and business leaders.
- Get inspired by others.
- Become a business expert.
- Facebook is a great way to make “real connections” within my art niche market. Twitter quickly and easily reaches beyond the art niche. I sold my art using Twitter.
3. Keep your finger on the pulse:
- Artists are the ones who move and move the world and they need to stay informed.
- Artists must follow the new trends in design, decoration, fashion and technology and how they influence their art and sales.
- In this challenging economy, being a successful artist is not only about creating great art, but also about creating a solid business.
- If you don’t have a website, it is invisible. A website is essential, a blog even better.
- It’s time for artists to “think outside the box” about art marketing!
- SM is already changing the rules of the market.
- Use YouTube to share videos of your latest art tutorial or artwork. This builds brand recognition and drives traffic to your website or blog. YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world after Google.
5. Don’t be a dinosaur:
- Artists and galleries must evolve to remain competitive. It is clear that artists and galleries that do not join will likely go the way of print media.
- Now is the time for natural selection and survival of the fittest.
- Join even if you still don’t understand!