The 40 best romantic things to do
1. Get up very early. Have a special breakfast prepared in advance (croissants, scones, etc.) and set the timer on the coffee maker. Take a short trip to watch the sunrise together.
2. When your special someone comes home, have a makeshift massage area ready to go (the bedroom works best) with candlelight, soft music, and a pleasant scent (perhaps a scented candle or incense). Offer them a romantic massage and pamper them (and maybe they’ll return the favor!)
3. On a day when you’re not pressed for time, jump in the shower and offer to wash his back. Maybe the shower time can be extended to a little longer for the two of you to connect.
4. Enjoy a picnic indoors by the fireplace (if you have one, otherwise you can light a lot of candles for the atmosphere). Have everything ready: a picnic basket, a blanket, flowers, anything you can use for a picnic outside. Of course, a nice bottle of wine would be nice (and you’re home, enjoy!)
5. Kiss. If you’ve been together for years, they may have forgotten how much fun kissing can be!
6. Prepare a surprise dinner for your special someone. Send them an invitation to their office with the date (tonight), the time and the place (your place). Make it romantic with candles and flowers and a well-set table. Best of all, make a dish that you know they’ll love.
7. Go to the movies, but you don’t feel alone to the movies. Pick one that has been away for a while and attend a morning session. Most likely, they are the only people in the theater. Feel free to kiss a bit, hold hands, and enjoy your snacks in your private (or semi-private) home theater. If you’re in the mood, make it a “double role.”
8. The alarm clock rings on Saturdays. Children? Plans How about sleeping in for a change? If you can make it work, stay in bed together and just enjoy spending time together. If that is not possible, let that special someone sleep, put morning coffee and breakfast in bed. One of the most romantic things you can do is do something thoughtful, on a day when you don’t expect it.
9. Bring flowers home, whether for a man or a woman. Again, do it on an unexpected day.
10. Buy a dozen roses and attach a note to each rose with a reason why you love your partner. Scatter them on the bed or place them all over your house for them to find.
11. If you have a sexual routine (same positions all the time or the same day of the week), change it. The unexpected can be very romantic. Spice it up (check out the Kama Sutra for some ideas)
12. Buy an unexpected creative romantic gift. It doesn’t have to be expensive and it doesn’t have to be for a birthday, anniversary, or Valentine’s Day. Just because that’s reason enough.
13. Prepare a romantic bath with lots of bubbles, candles, and bath and body products (massager, loofah, they even make things like chocolate bars for the shower). Bring a bottle of wine or champagne and sit back and relax. Two people who love each other, without clothes, in confined spaces.
14. Take some photos of the two of you and put them in frames. Place them around the house / bedroom.
15. Reserve a local hotel room. Send your special someone an invitation to a romantic evening and have them meet you at the hotel. When there is a knock on the door (or you can send them a key ahead of time), ask the romantically decorated room (rose petals, candles, flowers, gifts, decorated bathtub).
16. Book a session with a local photographer for Boudoir photography.
17. Find a nice, secluded place to watch the sunset. Bring a bottle of wine and some snacks / fresh fruit.
18. Do something that really makes them laugh (laughter can be an aphrodisiac), even if it makes you the butt of the joke.
19. Give up something you want to do with your friends and tell them that you prefer to spend the afternoon / evening with them.
20. Plan a camping trip so you can spend some time alone together and have everything prepared (all they have to do is come with you, no packing!)
21. Take a class together (cooking, dancing, guitar, something you both would enjoy)
22. Whether at home or in a restaurant, if your favorite song is playing, get up and ask them to dance!
23. Is there something they have always wanted you to do with them but have you been too scared (climbing, skiing, skydiving, etc.)? Just do it!
24. For married couples, renew your vows and celebrate your love.
25. For couples who are dating, celebrate an unusual anniversary (anniversary of our first kiss or anniversary of the first time I fell in love with you)
26. Have sex in an unusual place (it will be unexpected and exciting)
27. Help. Without them asking. Help wash the dishes. Help with the children. Run some errands. Do do do.
28. Every now and then, call them randomly to let them know that you’re thinking of them and that you love them (and don’t go on with “oh why I have you on the phone, could you do something for me?”
29. Write them a love note and hide it somewhere they won’t find it until they get to work (or some other place away from home).
30. Talk about them, with them. Not talking about the normal day to day, but about things that really have meaning for that special person (their hopes and dreams). Listen carefully.
31. Try to help them achieve those dreams in any way you can.
32. Have a movie night at home and watch a favorite romantic comedy.
33. For a woman, buy her lingerie and leave it in the bedroom after you go to work with a note – and a promise – for a romantic evening. Or buy her a dress (really good stores can help you size) and treat her like Cinderella. That he meets you for a special evening (dinner, theater)
34. Call a radio station that plays love songs (many are syndicated) and dedicate a song to them.
35. Do something unexpected that is a romantic surprise. For example, take secret guitar lessons and one night, take out a guitar and serenade it. Or if you can’t dance, take dance classes and one night, take her dancing.
36. If you want to be adventurous in the bedroom, buy a romantic board game and enjoy fun, romance and games.
37. Do a romantic activity together (horseback riding, hot air ballooning, wine tasting, tandem kayaking, scenic hike, etc.)
38. Stress can really hurt a relationship. Have fun and take the day off to go to a local amusement park together.
39. Plan a weekend getaway and take care of everything so they just have to get in the car and go with you.
40. Repeat. Don’t let the romance in your relationship die. A good relationship requires work. Don’t put it on autopilot.