Sloppy Joes for a Backyard Picnic – Crockpot Style
You may think of sloppy Joes as a “kid” food, but I still love eating them and serve them to my family regularly. I recently hosted a picnic-style gathering at my house for my family and friends. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so I decided I’d use my crockpot and make my famous Big Crowd Pleasing Sloppy Joes. This recipe has been a favorite at many covered dish events. It is very simple to prepare and will serve 24 hungry diners.
3 pounds ground beef
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
3/4 cup celery
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 can (261/2 ounces) sloppy joe sauce
24 hamburger buns
* Cook the meat and onion in a large skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally until meat is browned.
* Transfer meat mixture to a 31/2 to 6-quart crockpot.
*To meat mixture, add chopped celery, barbecue sauce, and sloppy joe sauce. Mix well.
* Cover and simmer 7-9 hours (or simmer 3-4 hours) or until vegetables are tender.
1. Spray the crockpot with cooking spray for easier cleanup.
2. Buy onions and celery already chopped.
3. The Sloppy Joes will stay hot for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from browning too much around the edges.
You can serve any side dish with the sloppy Joes. To simplify the preparation, I usually serve French fries.
This recipe only takes about 15 minutes to prepare, but your guests will think you spent all day in the kitchen. Get ready for the compliments!